Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Amazing Gift and Joy of Harmony

Usually when people think of harmony, their minds go to music. While that is a great measure and illustration of harmony, I realize more and more that the world, Man, is seeking for harmony on a wide front of issues that reside in this thing called life. 

Last night was a great example for me for I was part of it.  I have been honored to sing in a Summer Choir formed from singers, sixty-six, from 18 area churches to learn a Christmas cantata written and arranged by Praisegathering Music Company.  This is a bi-annual experience and the delivery of the cantata that includes the professionals that wrote and arranged the piece are there and part of the performance.  The cantata is the capstone piece to a 3.5 day workshop of music directors from across the United States, about 300 in total, that come together to hone skills, develop a broader cache of music, network and they pay a significant fee to do that.  On the Friday night the workshop is opened to the public which fills the auditorium which was the case last evening. But the point of today is about harmony and its joy!

To spend several summertime hours from June to August on Tuesday evenings working diligently to learn the music, technique, dynamics, etc, a family is born. We may not know each other's names nor much about those on our left or right, front or back but the currency of the process of forming the family is the music.  Last night prior to the performance, our director gave her final parting comments and points to remember but then just before the final prayer spoke of people within the choir that are hurting for an array of reasons. I realized having spent a summer with these dear people I had not come to that point of really thinking that much about the very personal side of those I got to work with but for a small handful and then I was out the door for home.

But last night the "family" came together in a magical moment when the director spoke of the issues some are facing and I saw people begin to hug, shoulders quivering from crying, cheek kissing, heads bowed in very deep, personal prayer; all the earmarks that a very special moment of harmony was being experienced; a gift! In those few moments I was awestruck by the power of what a family, in harmony, has which is immeasurable for it is a very special, unique joy and I was getting to be part of it.  At that moment, in the quiet solitude of my own thoughts as I looked at the expressions of sincere love and compassion within that crowded room, I felt transcended to an even closer walk with my Jesus for only from Him could such a moment be brought to reality.

As we processed from the room into the auditorium and then to our seats, there was a sense of real joy to get to be part of something we knew would be really special. I knew something good was about to happen in the delivery of the cantata and I certainly was not disappointed. Hearing the powerful sound of that choir, experiencing the precious gift of being part of something harmonious was especially powerful to me in that almost one hour of delivering what you had spent hours learning.  Watching the reaction of the audience but especially the arrangers on stage that had heard the cantata many, many times and to see their joy at what they were hearing; that was harmony!  As the performance ended, exhausted of course, it was so uplifting to hear so many wonderful comments that melted into a special chord of harmony that was pleasing to my heart and my soul; we had done something many were pleased with but far more importantly, we had been part of the joy of harmony that brought so much to so many. WOW!

Driving home I found myself comparing the wonderful exhilaration that only harmony can bring in music but then in thinking about the vast array of things in our lives that too many times turn non-harmoniously and in that discord you are moved to worry, fear, anger, frustration, etc.  But then in relationships, issues, health matters, etc when harmony is achieved, there is such a sense of release and relief that is cast upon the water isn't there?  You are part of somebodies harmony .. or not, right?  Today, seek to turn disharmony into the sweet joy of harmony in some one's life and walk and I will assure you the harmony of your life will be enhanced as a result.

Again, the cantata was entitled, And On Earth, Peace.  So very, very, very true. Seek the harmony!

No comments:

Post a Comment