Saturday, October 20, 2012

Harmony in the Midst of Cacophany

Good Saturday morning to you as I sit here in the still darkness of an unbelievably busy Saturday and Sunday of singing but looking forward to all of it. The smell of coffee brewing is wafting gently to that special place of feeling good and comfortable with life even in the midst of, well, so much not good and discomfort.  Last night I felt a remarkable sense of harmony as I watched for two hour a dozen highly talented men and women unfold a piano concert that was, well, simply fabulous.  With all the moving around, the large crowd, seeing old friends and trying to remember names, hearing many warm hearted comments, the cacophony of all of that melted into a real harmony via the music. I was deeply impressed and touched.

I realized watching and listening to the crafts of those men and women being unfurled in the name of our God that loves us that my mind was assessing the craziness of our world, the many issues of my students that I in someway will be touched with and by, the politics of the day, the hurt and disappointments of so many in my portfolio of people, the prisoners.  Through all of that whirling through my brain, the beauty of the music was blatant but the cord that denominated it all was the ever present harmony.  Harmony sounds good and makes us feel good, doesn't it?  We all seek harmony in our lives. We long for that assurance of harmony in relationships.

As this semester now marches toward week eight, there continues to be lesser but still present shadows of disharmony in the machine of Jim, Inc.  Plagiarism, not fulfilling directives of the course, a choice, tardiness, under performance on examinations; all are elements of disharmony and my toleration of it and for it has hit bottom.  Mind you I am only speaking of a very small percentage of poor choosers and there is a heavy price in points for the bad choices but the collateral results is requiring more of my time and the team leaders' time in sorting out and dealing with the ramifications of still Twenty Percent behaviors.  That, frankly by this stage, only angers me at having to  refocus energy from the work ahead and that, for me, is criminal, at this stage of the semester.

Harmony is a gift. It does not just happen for it has to be crafted, sought, achieved through effort, practice and execution. Every athlete knows this. Every musician knows this. We all know it intuitively.  Commit this day anew to bringing harmony into your life and in so doing you bring much needed harmony to so many others.   Again, last night was therapeutic for me to get to witness so much talent in so many ways performing their art that touched me so deeply to develop this blog this morning. I believe there is Divine Purpose for this coming to me as it has.

This will be a weekend filled with singing in different groups and locations and songs and in each, achieving harmony is at the forefront for harmony facilitates loving and praising the name of the One that the music is written about; my Jesus.  That and He is why I sing and I love the challenge.  But never forget, life is about achieving harmony. Yes, it is doable but it takes work, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment