Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Beauty of Snow

Have awakened to a fresh coating of beautiful, glistening snow and it is 12 degrees as I ready for church.  Having been reared in Alabama, snow was always a rarity but I always loved it.  As I have experienced snow in many, many places around the world, I realize that snow still brings out the little boy in me from Alabama City when I first see it.  That knocking off the noises of the world due to the snow serving as a muffler always amazed me.  Yes, I admit it ... I love snow!
 
Using snow as a metaphor and its ability to dampen the noises of one's reality, we have so much "noise" in our world, don't we?  Be it personal tragedy or ill health to the global cacophony of events that both scare and concern us, we need that "muffler" in our lives just to exist from day to day.  The continuing saga of ineptitude and gridlock in Washington has grown really like a Greek tragedy.  I doubt our Congress, now, could pass any sort of worthwhile legislation in a time when the power of good law is needed so badly.  I can still get very angry in watching this mess unravel on a grand scale daily. I can, as well, become angry with what I see as an arrogant, out of touch, elitist as our POTUS. Add the Congressional morass to the disconnected spend-nut in our POTUS and the future seems bleak.  But wait, it is snowing and the sounds are muffled.  So what, for me, muffles this ever increasing, laughable horror story in our national leadership?
 
Let me answer that this way! I heard Bill Gaither on radio a few weeks ago make one of the most profound statements I had ever  heard.  Gaither said that the birth of a baby 2,000 years ago unleashed via that event more art, more music, more literature than any event in the history of Man.  I had to process that but then realized how true that really was for me personally.  I was asked a few months ago to sing to a group of secular people with this caveat; please sing two songs with one being a Christian song and one a non-Christain, secular song.  I found myself in a quandary when I realized that I know hundreds of Christian songs but could not come up with a single secular, non-Christian song! So, they got two Christian gospel songs! I tell that story for, for me, I hear the message of Christ and His birth, death and resurrection embodied in the music I listen to, sing, study and enjoy delivering. That is exactly what Gaither was talking about.
 
On this Sunday, this is a day set aside in Christendom as the Sabbath.  I cannot wait to be with my many friends at my church, to get to sing, to get to collectively worship with many hundreds of like believers, to have a powerful sermon delivered straight from the pages of Holy Scripture.  This will be my day to get to bask in that music, that art, that literature and that miracle of that birth of a Baby that changed the course of Man; and still does!

Some will read this and agree, some will disagree, some will just blow it off and some will be angered by it.  But for me and my house, we WILL serve the Lord and today is another day in that journey to serve a Risen Savior. I am so blessed to get to type those words of praise, of reality, of my future and that of my family.

Lord, thank you for the snow but thank for being the snow that muffles the junk of this world!

No comments:

Post a Comment