Saturday, February 15, 2014

A Father's Pride

In about an hour my whole family will gather, in surprise, to celebrate an amazing accomplishment of my son, Taylor, in finalizing his dream to finish a doctoral degree in Ministry. He has now completed all work for his Doctor of Ministry from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary.  
 
Many emotions have moved through each of us, the family, since this journey began for Taylor. Much prayer, words of encouragement, assisting with child care, tears, smiles; all parts of a journey that has touched each of us, the family, in a unique manner during the grueling process. All of that only adds value to the experience. But as the father, my pride, devotion and hope for what this all means is manifest as we gather together to celebrate this accomplishment.
 
Taylor, our youngest, has always displayed unique elements of his personality. Often times as a little boy he would like to sit with older men in our church wanting to talk, to listen to their words of wisdom.  When he got to college, it was Campus Crusade for Christ that became the impetus that what would be a significant turning, educationally, to what he intended would be a vocation. I wanted him to work for Goodyear returning to Europe but that was not what God had planned for him. 
 
Taylor, like his dad in so many ways I realize time and again, is geared to accomplishment via drive and challenge.  When nothing comes easy, overcoming and staying in the fight of the issue is not a choice for choosing to shirk and, while less painful in the near term, never provides the essence of leading for people are always, always watching to see if you will just quit under fire. I have never seen Taylor quit!
 
Watching him push himself in the gunfire of adversity, taking positions on issues that needed to be taken and staying focused on the horizon of a better way forward, seeing him endure physical and emotional scarring for the greater good are traits of my son that inspire me most. We all watched the times of angst, frustration, disappointment that come with matriculating for a terminal degree and while it would hurt me to feel so powerless to ease the load; all I knew to do many times was to back up, calm and pray for my son.  This journey with Taylor has brought me closer to God in those times of praying for him when I had not clue what else I could do.
 
As the frolic and joy of celebration begin soon, we will soon see the worry dissipate to warmth of accomplishment. I hope we never forget the investment in so many ways required to complete this challenge.  But as the dad, I began praying over the last few weeks for God to show quickly the answer to the question, now what? My son is a bastion of capability. He is likable. He is respectable. He gives of himself on a scale that I cannot understand at times but still he gives so much of himself even when he is beyond going which most will never see.  I love those rare moments of sitting in his office for a few minutes to just listen for I realize my greatest offering to Taylor is my active listening. That is hard for me for I am a Fixer and always thinking about how to make something happen.  Taylor needs his dad to listen so I have sought to enhance my skill of listening to him and more and more, to others.   
 
Today is a time of celebration for my family. As the patriarch, words are not written yet that can express that quality of love I feel for my son.  I know God has a plan for him now with this piece of paper and  over three years of experience to show for it. I long to see that plan unveiled but the great news is knowing Taylor will embrace that plan with grace, with wisdom and with fullness of himself just like he has done with everything in his life. He is my joy. He is my inspiration. I am proud to call him my son!

No comments:

Post a Comment