Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hostage taking 101

This has been a very busy, exhausting day for Alicia and I but a great day and part of the greatness was being forced to cut loose from the unfolding debacle in what we call DC.  But then I had to come home in mid afternoon, had to turn on the TV and voila, I realized then how the Iran hostages felt when some small group, to make a point, possibly have stolen a pretty good way of life away from millions of Americans ... and me!  The last few days have created this burning sensation in the blogosphere including on some of my blog posts.  Emotion, protectionism, partisanism (that word again) and patriotism have all floated to the top in an array of sounds, smells and configurations ... but the fat lady apparently has not yet sung and we all are waiting for the chorus of that song.!

So here we sit on Sunday night with the clock ticking toward Aug 2 and all we are hearing  on the news are the "right wing Republicans" in the House and Senate referred to as "Tea Party" people that are pushing this economy to the brink.  Like it or not that is simply wrong. 

Just watched this Tea Party young lady interviewed and is she brazenly proud of the near shutdown status of America and the "mark we have made on our nation .."  It simply is amazing, sickening, but amazing how this is allowed to happen.  One commentator, rightly I think, drew the analogy that the Tea Party block is like letting the teenager in the family manage the family checkbook. Yeah, that sounds about right!

Pastor Neal Wheeler preached a phenomenally powerful and compelling sermon this morning at Canton Baptist Temple.  He made a great point, quite a few in fact, when he said politics is not bad for it is good but that there are good politicians and bad politicians. Ah, how simple yet how true!  I consider myself a relatively intelligent man, I seek to understand, I commit my actions to prayer but got to tell you, I just don't get any of this.  The Boehner Bill saga for nothing was, well, ahhhhhhh, apparently stupidity; blocked by the Party of the Tea.  Now the Reid Bill saga is for nothing was, well, ahhhhhhhh, apparently stupidity; blocked by the Party of the Tea. Are you seeing a connection here?

When I got home from church today I went to our Preamble of our nation's Constitution and proceeded to read the first part of our great "Mark in the World's Sand!" I highly recommend you do just that; go back and read the document!  And then realize that here we are in 2011 metaphorically held hostage by a small group of people, well intended I believe, committed I believe, wanting to do the right thing I believe, creating havoc in the global economy with tsunamic implication. Watch the stock markets around the world react and watch gold head toward a new high on the London market over night.

I have prayed about all of this for that is what I am commanded to do by the Bible.  Some time praying isn't easy and this, for me, is one of them. But I know God is in control of this but really do no like this chafing sense of being a hostage!  Perhaps there is purpose to all of this and history will perhaps record it with a positive blush ... we'll see won't we!  So if I have managed to offend supporters of the Party of the Tea, I am deeply sorry but that chafing really hurts and angers me ... and millions of others in that same hostage status!

No comments:

Post a Comment