Thursday, July 28, 2011

Partisan, Bipartisan Means ...?

Webster defines "partisan (read carefully) as  a firm adherent to a party, faction, cause, or person; especially: one exhibiting blind, prejudiced, and unreasoning allegiance.  Blind, prejudiced, unreasoned allegiance ... hum!

This day I have done little other than exhaustive track, try to track, the Boehner bill submitted to the House floor, listening to freshmen Congressmen beat their chests that they are going to change the status quo, senior senators berating freshmen Congressmen for being, well, freshmen, Reid, Pelosi, Boehner, et al, slam each other before anyone carrying a camera. I have listened to speech after speech and in every one the speaker spoke to partisan and the most beloved term, bipartisan. So I decided I would just visit with Mr. Webster to see how he defined that interesting term so, voila .... blind, prejudiced, unreasoned allegiance are the descriptors. 

I have led a family, a career, commanded men in tough situations, dealt with politics in large and small organizations so I speak from a degree of experience  ....  this is the most amazing show I have ever watched with each passing camera angle. Bulging necks, raging rhetoric, insinuative barbs, etc and I think I have finally realized something. Stupid me ...!

With all the oceans of ink, keyboard clicks, wasted oxygen it sort of all boils down to one simple thing I believe ... "show me the money, Jerry, show me the money!"  Insert plan for money and you have it.  The Republican House has actually had the audacity of putting a plan ON PAPER so you can read it, measure it, assess it, like it, hate it but it is a PLAN ON PAPER.  I now realize the U.S. Senate has yet to do that as well as our Fearless (?) Leader, President Obama nor even the House Democrats.  A plan to fix this mess being thrown about, accused about,  but the fact is there is only one actual plan has been cast to the whims of the legislative process.

This is ludicrous, criminal and downright embarrassing as an American. If this is democracy in action, then I find myself sickened by the realization that what I have been taught by some really great teachers and my own observation and research on this I realize I must have been asleep this last fifty years or so.  I wrote last week about Compromise for democracy is built on the foundation of Compromise.  This day I have seen not one single step in that direction while the world teeters on economic disaster should the US truly default. Simply ridiculous and such a shame to watch.

This day, frankly, I am not proud to be an American. I have worn the military uniform of this once great nation, I have been thrilled to build a family, a career, a life but today one must but take deep pause to really assess where we have truly come to in our experiment that began in 1776.  There is no doubt Thomas Jefferson would have cut his wrists already, George Washington would have gone to Canada to skip the draft and Paul Revere would have just spent the night at the tavern. I think you get my cynicism.

I come from a founding belief that there is no problem that is unsolvable. Problems get solved when the problem is viewable, measurable and it can be broken into its core component parts and the right set of people brought to bear on the components.  I see NONE OF THAT but I see theatrics for the cameras.  If I were Mr. America today, CSPAN would be shut down, CNN, FOX and the rest banned, a singular meeting would be held with no seats so everyone had to stand and I, Mr. America, would present the problem with the dictate that there will be no coffee breaks, no sleeping over, NOTHING UNTIL THIS MESS IS FIXED. Mr Obama has chosen to go MIA it seems which is probably for the best right now.  Reid literally is milk toast and Pelosi is, well, dangerous like a black widow spider.  So who can fix this mess before the world takes a deep breath and realizes America is not that Big Guy on whom they could always depend upon to be there for them. 

So who do they now look to? I would say, today, China and Wal-Mart. I actually had a thought yesterday that the best pathway forward to fix this would be for Obama to call Bentonville, Arkansas, explain the impasse and let them sort it out.  How sad, how truly, truly sad??

Every speech I have heard has used the term "bipartisan" as an assault weapon so when I read the definition I realize the depth of the well we have created.  I really hate posting such a negative post but after a full day of ingesting this mess, but this is simply sickening.  But I will close by going to the book, as in the Bible. Read the Book of Esther where she is told by Mordecai that she is here "for such a time as this ..."  I believe the only resolution to this mess is our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  America has turned from our Christian roots so what else can should we expect, right?  

It is my sincere belief that Christians hold the capability to stem this tide of rancor if we will stand up and lift our nation to our God in hopes He will truly hear the cries of His people as we saw time and again in the Old Testament.  Satan is having a field day through all of this for desperation is of the devil and there is far too much desperation abounding.  Hear us Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment