Tuesday, November 1, 2011

As the sun goes down ....!

Simply amazed all over again at the beauty of God's creation! As the sun starts its movement to the other hemisphere, the golden leaves and bright reds of a fading Fall seem to explode through my windows.   Have not felt too good last few days but that is getting better, thank you antibiotics, and I am not hurting, my family loves me, I am blessed so I am probably the richest man I know right now.

Have chosen to not watch much television today but have meandered through many magazines and newspapers from around the world via my laptop.  I have had teachers who would no doubt be turning over in their graves if they knew I would glean great joy from those meanderings.   When I realize in a mental flash during a lecture I will hear myself say something to my classes and in that wink of time will recall having heard Mrs. Baker or Mrs. Warren or Mrs Braswell  or Ms Tatum and the list elongates quickly say something that locked into my hardware, it amazes me all over again at  the impact teachers have on people for generations.

We live in a world that is bombarded with messages from an array of sources that can lift, drop, create fear and havoc, change a day in a breath thus the reality of a globalized, hyper-connectivity universe in which we now reside.  Yesterday, a true communications professional and great friend, Sue Grabowski, spoke to my class as she does to all classes I teach for her input is vital and her example sterling to those young minds.  She has crafted her presentation to facilitate transitioning into a time at the end of the class to talk to the students about life, Facebook, social networking, resumes and what employers are seeking.  It is a treasure to me to watch how the classes engage in that discussion. 

It is always fun for me, knowing it is coming, when she unloads both barrels on the stupidity and negative implication of some of the junk people post to FB. I say, AMEN!  It is further interesting when a student or two will challenge her unloading with the tepid defense of it is "their right" to post whatever they want with no consequence.  How dumb!

As semesters flow by like a cascading fountain, students face many things both good and bad and I can share myriad stories of each category.  But here is the reality check for today's blog ... shooting oneself in the foot to be cute today that will impact a tomorrow ranks right up there with stupid. I trust you agree.  I have found FB to be a tremendous media platform in so many ways with encouragement being very near the top of the list.  FB also gives me insight into issues in my students' lives when you get to know the student personally.  I believe FB is a great tool but like any tool or technology, it can be and is misused. 

FB is an indelible mark on your future so being cute or rebellious today can have dire circumstances when wanting an employer to reach out to you.  You can know that when a position is to be filled that FB is one of the initial filters employers use to begin the screening process.  Use the technology, any technology, to your advantage.  Marketing is creating the perception of need!  So FB  can be a great marketing tool ... or not so choose wisely, please!

So I close as the brilliance of the sunset is astoundingly beautiful by saying that life is good so seek to enjoy it for can so quickly change or go away.  If you are a student I have had or have now, please know that every word of this is intended for your betterment for you are part of my ever expanding family so I want only the very best for my family.  In other words, do not choose to be stupid!

No comments:

Post a Comment