Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Marveling

I find that word very interesting.  Have you ever marveled at something or someone?  Marvel is defined as: Be filled with wonder or astonishment!  Hum, pretty powerful words, filled with wonder and astonished, right!  I have a very high threshold for finding the case of marveling my the world around me. I marvel at how a person can change their life if they choose. I marvel at how Man has an innate yearning for freedom that is evidenced by the terrible pain of childbirth for that new baby really wants to stay right where it has been so being forced out of that cocoon is tough for everyone but I marvel at the process of a child. I marvel to define love that I can sink my teeth into for, like the wind, you cannot see it but you know it is there!

So to the point of today's blog ... I found myself today watching the Senate vote on the debt reduction bill that was defeated; that did not marvel me but I tell you what did; the very public display of what I consider a very ineffective, inefficient, collegial atmosphere of how laws get made in our country; that is a marvel to me.  I watch these Congressmen on television and if I closed my eyes and just listened, they are all making the exact same case with great articulation, pretty poster boards, well dressed, educated men and women all focused on the reality of our national debt crisis.  But then this strange thing happens; they vote!  And in watching the vote I find myself reviled by the hand shaking, joking around, back slapping, joke telling, etc, junk by and with these same people that have bashed each other's ideas, approaches and fixes. That for me is a marvel of inefficiency and ineffectiveness and who loses? We the People!

It is my belief that the Founders were an amazing bunch of men, not overly educated, not overly political, not overly rich, not overly anything that were asked to come together to do a job for The People even though sent by their respective states but to find consensus for the greater good of the country.  These Framers built a written document called a Constitution that is the anchor in the storm of a new democracy. We can see the same process after an overthrown dictator and the anguish, blue-tipped voter fingers voting for the first time around the world.  ALL SEEKING FREEDOM!

But here we sit in America, the shining light on the hill of a democratic system designed for me for I am one of the WE THE PEOPLE and I have never felt less free and even worse, all I see, SEE, is entrenchment, rancour and strict party line votes.  Something has changed since the days of the Framers and I think it has come it starts and stops but glacially cutting its way into the real meaning and intent the Framer used in crafting that Constitution.  I do believe the tripartite system is a functional system but the piece of that system not spoken of enough, as bad as the Executive and Legislative processes are is the Judicial process for they are the real makers of the law when you realize their function.  Their function, simply, is to take a passed law that gets contested and then through hearings move to consensus on what the Framers really mean in the context of that case brought before them. That is called MAKING THE LAW thus nine unelected but politically appointed justices have the power and do make the real Law of the Land. Did you realize that?

Of late I wish at time the folks that Framed this document we have fought for many times could show up for a couple of weeks to view their handiwork three hundred years hence.  I would imagine they, like I, would be shocked back to the grave.  We have created a monster that is very likely untamable whether we wish to believe it or not.  It really angers me and sickens me at the same time of how such a systemic cancer can be allowed to metastasize in full public view and it just keeps getting repeated with each election cycle. That is a MARVEL to me. I plead guilt to my lack of injection into this failed system and yes, I believe the system is in a fail mode. But the guys and the girls are still patting backs, giving Fives, telling jokes, reading speeches written by staff shoe clerks. You know, I feel I deserve better than that. I feel we pay a great deal of money for a process to work; not to play the games of partisanism that irks me to no end.  And the lobbying system; don't get me started for that is the most prostitutional institution ever assembled so, for me, the entire K Street in downtown DC can be made a hand grenade range as far as I am concern as it relates to my freedom.

Bottom line, WE THE PEOPLE DESERVE BETTER! That is no marvel to me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment