Monday, January 2, 2012

Another Soldier Has Gone Home

That is a great song but today the meaning of it seems more appropriate as a great soldier in the army of our Lord has left us. Kay Harbison has fought a good fight and her reward is now being realized as her family and countless numbers of friend grieve that departure.  It has been many years since I saw her there at the East Gadsden Baptist Church but it seems as yesterday I can see her with that unique, gentle grin nodding her head looking up at me as I would sing I'M STANDING ON THE SOLID ROCK.  That little smile would remove any of the butterflies you get at times and that smile is so fresh still.

The wife of one of the greatest men I have ever known and the mother of a family of men and women that have all done well on this earth.  We all grieved the loss of her son just a short time ago even from a thousand miles away.  Through the miracle of Facebook I have been able to remain linked into that precious family. It was with tears that I read of her home going yesterday with that family she loved so dearly around her singing together and her husband, Brother Bill, praying a sweet prayer over that departed saint.  I felt like I was there also!

Most of you never knew Kay Harbison.  Most of you missed so much by that gaping hole of not being blessed to have known her, laughed with her, poked fun with her; she was a true, true joy.  She has fought a tough fight in recent months but still a great fighter and yet, still a great encourager.  So with all the heavy issues of our world, it is easy to read a few words about someone most of you never knew but believe me, you would be a much better person today had you had the chance as I did not know this wonderful Christian woman and friend.

I ache for the family but I yearn to see that smile and that slow head nod of positive acknowledgement when I get to sing to her again one day. 

Through my disappointments
Strife and discontentment
I cast my every care upon the Lord
No matter what obsession
Pain or deep depression
I'm standing on the Solid Rock

Thank you Ms Kay, you never let me flat a note or miss a word. I am a better man because of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment