Saturday, March 17, 2012

Springtime in Ohio ... in March?

Much is being said and written about the winter that wasn't here in NE Ohio. Mosquitoes are already out and finding their way to my wife as they always seem to do.  I actually saw buds on trees yesterday and apparently the critters usually dormant until summer are out and about.  Here is all I know; it is a beautiful period of time and I am enjoying it and with Spring Break next week and Kent State, my prayer is that my students will enjoy but be safe and respectful of themselves and others in that enjoyment.

This has been yet another treasure trove of events in our world. Gasoline prices are itching to surpass the $4 per gallon market and I believe we will near $5 by mid summer.  The still unsteadiness of the Iran / Israel duel looms and Syria is a massacre in progress that, well, nobody seems to really even care about! 

The Army soldier that has killed the 16 civilians has refocused the world in the atrocious, egregious nature of armed combat yet again.  With Mr. Karzai now howling for US troops to pull back to bases and out of the villages which is exactly what the enemy wants, I believe it time to do just that which is pull back to bases to airports to airplanes with destinations back at home in the US.  This mess has gotten beyond reason and with a weak Commander-in-Chief, there is no longer a sense of fear that accompanies the US military but more is a sense of disdain. 

The Russians found this out two decades ago so it really is history repeating is it not?  You want to really feel sorry for the soldier now that he is identified and personal accounts of him are coming forth.  Too many tours most of which in combat but the fact is, apparently, he got drunk and decided to kill him some Afghans; it seems pretty much that simple at this stage. Tragic, yes! Inexcusable, most certainly! Cold blooded, premeditated murders, yes! So I cannot find it in my heart to feel sorrow for such a dastardly act but that is what extended combat yields. That is the good news for we will never know the true number  and scale of events similar to this in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Our world is a dangerous place. The tectonic forces that move and drive the winds of that world are even more frightening under the shadow of a presidential campaign, escalating fuel prices, mounting debts in the major and minor economies of the world with China sitting always singularly on a global perch with resources to take advantage of the fire sales before her on every continent.  Yes, the world is quite worrisome and for great, justifiable reason.

But you know, I have this unending great hope that the sun will come up in a few minutes on a new day which will be a day of challenge and opportunity. I believe there is a greater Hand out there guiding and controlling what appears to be the craziness of the world. I know there is a Being out there what knows me, knows my heart and wants the best for me. I know that blessed assurance that can bring and does bring hope in the midst of chaos and calm in the throws of fear. I do not know about tomorrow but I DO KNOW who holds my hand!

Wow, now putting those words together has just eased my soul yet again so let the Saturday and the beautiful gift of weather and the knowledge that there is God that loves me and my family  co-joined and how could this be a bad day, right? By the way, that will preach so can I get a witness?

1 comment: