Friday, May 24, 2013

Honoring Our Dead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWReeTeXfxA

As we move to the hallowed ceremony in honoring our soldiers that have fallen or left us on earth to remember them, my heart rate always quickens for it is a wonderful time to reflect.  The link is the changing of the guard at Arlington which bring chills each time I stand and watch that.  In 2013, I find myself growingly concerned that fewer Americans feel that swell of passion for patriotism that wrapped us as children as we pledged the flag. 
 
Having worn the Uniform for several years and having lost many friends during that time, my heart swells with pride when my mind goes back to those days.  We will honor the dead at our church Sunday and I will cry even trying not to but each tear is a tribute to the many I knew and those I did not know. We will have many WWII veterans in attendance Sunday and I will try to shake every hand and salute each one thanking them.  I do that now routinely anywhere I am with whoever I am with for it is a blessing to me.
 
Do we respect our nation enough to honor it and its uniformed warriors?  Yes but I cannot help but believe that proportion of the population is now much lower than just a few years ago.  I am still a strong proponent of a mandatory military draft that should every American young person, male or female, to serve out nation in uniform for two or three years. The all volunteer military is a great thing but I believe those that enjoy the treasure of our nation should have to serve that nation in some way.
 
As we see the flags Sunday, see the old guys wearing uniforms now too small; thank each of them. I wish, now, I could have known more about my father and his service so I could have appreciated his service more and thanked him.  For those of you that still have your fathers or grand fathers that served, talk to them, question them, get this to talk about it. I love to sit with the old veterans and chat for they now love to talk about the days as they remember them. What a blessing!
 
Find a veteran and honor him or her!

No comments:

Post a Comment