Sunday, June 2, 2013

Heaven Will Surely Be Worth it All!

One of the great classics in Southern Gospel music was penned many years ago by Dad Speer with that title. Many of us have heard it and have sung it many times and I still love the song.  A few minutes ago I came across a YouTube video of Eldredge Fox, now deceased, that owned the Kingsmen Quartet and sang baritone for them for many years.  In that video, Mr. Fox and the Quartet sung this classic song very sweetly and I found myself melted into tears listening, really listening to the message of that song.   Please watch this video before reading further:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBnm8k-n-fQ
 
As our Sunday morning begins to unfold in a cloudy, rainy day, reflection again seems to visit me.  This week God has allowed me to view into some things in other's lives both inside a jail of bars and inside a "jail" of worries and fears about what the days ahead will bring.  I got to spend time with my grandchildren and watched my eldest play a baseball game yesterday afternoon. I love how he continues to improve and develop a real love for the game.  This week has been filled with singing, meeting new people, warming of talks of our history with old friends, seeing new life after high school begin via graduation, learned some new music; a busy week but a great week.
 
Someone asked me the other day how I was doing and my quick retort was that I got up this morning, did not ache and can still think pretty well.  That was such a short view answer to such a great question and I apologize to that person that asked me the question for she deserved much better.  So how am I doing, really?  That answer resides in that great song for with all the trials and tribulations, hurts and worries, pains and losses, wins and defeats of this life, I know little but I know for sure that Heaven surely will be worth all of this down here; I KNOW THAT!  In that knowledge I find refuge and strength daily and so easily take that for granted.
 
I know I at times I drive my wife crazy with my world of music but she knows how much I love it. But the real question I find myself asking myself is why does music escalate in my heart and my love for my Lord as life's days pass oh so quickly?  As I grow older and hopefully more mature, I find through seeing in the lives of others the touch of the Master's Hand through a song on a life hurting, in the flames of anger and distress or in a destroyed friendship bring calm and tears of joy and release.  For me it is less about the music per se but the music is more and more the medium to a hurting heart. So for me to be able to sing toward that end is, well, simply beyond measure in trying to understand. See, it is not for me to understand for it is but for me to do!
 
I love to study my Bible. I love to hear the array of sermons I hear at my church and in the jail work for each touch me in a most unique way as a artist brushstrokes on the canvas of my life.  I have used that analogy many times but that power of the reality grows daily and I love the growth.  So as we ponder the meaning of the fact that this life is made for trouble and strife, also the greater fact is that Heaven is very real and it will surely be worth all the strife of this life. On that I can reside for the rest of my days to be the best God would have me to be.
 
This is the day that the Lord has made so let us rejoice and be glad in it ... how long has it been since you rejoiced unabashedly, undeniably and with absolute release?  Let this day be the day you re-find the phenomenal sense of release that only sincere rejoicing can bring.  And remember, for we Christians, Heaven will surely be worth all of this travail on this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment