Thursday, June 20, 2013

Leading and Creating -- the twin Columns of Leadership

Earlier this week I found myself with this strange since of being a bit bored.  Boredom is a most interesting sense for it can do strange things to your sense of worth, well being, joy and a few other things.  All day I had felt just, well, under-stretched deeply inside and I did not like that sense.  I began to inventory all the things I am involved and invested with and even with all those balls in the air, I could not escape this strange sense of being bored.
 
Now mind you if I had expressed that to my wife, it would have been a rather short conversation for there would have been a significant laundry list, including laundry, that would quickly fill all my life for weeks yet to come. Enough on that but you get my point I believe! 
 
That afternoon my son came over and we were sitting outside watching the grand kids; always a joy.  In that conversation I expressed to Taylor that sense of being somewhat bored to which he summoned up simply, and correctly with, "dad, leaders, if they are not leading or creating, are always bored."   It was one of those moments where I found myself thinking about so many things one of which was realizing just how true and pertinent and well targeted his words were!
 
So you can know, with that brief but potent conversation, my spirits lifted and that cloud moved on out that was dulling my senses that whole day.  I do love to lead which means to plan, organize, direct, coordinate and control; the Principles of Management.  I believe in the definition of Leadership as the process of influencing an organized group towards its goal setting and its goal accomplishment for Leading is about serving and is therefore about partnering for performance!  So many hundreds of my students have experienced that first hand during my teaching decade but to be reminded of the vital nature of leading was profound and felt so good to me.
 
I realize there are many people that really do not want to lead, to give direction, to assume responsibility thus avoid any semblance of conflict or confrontation.  For whatever the reason, I do enjoy leading immensely.  I realize that leaders will at times make others want to climb rocks or wish the leader would fall off a few but one thing is for sure; nothing happens without leading.  I love to study effective leaders and get very frustrated when I see evidence of weak or non-existent or even worse, misdirected leadership.  Yes, there are many examples of each category around to view if you choose to view for the evidence resides not with the leader but with the corporate gathering of those being led.
 
I did not intend to blog about leadership today but the brief conversation with my son earlier has remained with me so I must but assume that God had a purpose for me needing to put words to it via my blog.  Leading is a gift for it is founded on the touchstone of respect. There is no leading without  respect and importantly, respect is normally the gift provided by those being led. Leaders must earn the right for the responsibility.
 
I hope this means something special to someone reading this today!  Thank you Taylor; my wise son!!

3 comments:

  1. Much agreed. Some tend to thrive in the comfort of routine, while others find routine frustratingly boring. My experience leads me to believe that the first are managers while the latter are leaders. Oft times our culture confuses the two, thinking managers are leaders, or that natural leaders should also manage. A true manager is not a good leader and vice versa. Oh that we could know ourselves well enough to know what environment will help us each to thrive, for the good of not just ourselves, but those we relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, you are way too young to 'retire' : ). That said, perhaps you could explore consulting to business on management practices, change management, and a host of other topics you could speak for hours on. You could be as busy or idle as you chose to be. And, I do believe companies would pay for your time. You are excellent at what you do sir...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your comments: "there is no leading without respect and importantly, respect is normally the gift provided by those being led. Leaders must earn the right for the responsibility." Right on, Jim!
    Truly successful leadership is inclusive of managing creatively, requiring passion, hard work, tenderness, toughness, and servitude.

    ReplyDelete