Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Determining your currency!

"Currency" is an interesting word for it has many meanings and applications.  I love to teach about money to students for they, like most, feel that "currency" is money when in reality "currency" means a medium of exchange.  The dollar bill is a piece of paper with ink on it, right?  But the implied value of the United States of America to ensure the value of that worthless piece of paper makes that piece of paper "currency" that translates into  a means to buy and sell; money!
 
I was watching Amy Poehler, a comedian, being interviewed by Charlie Rose and she used the term "currency" in a statement that said, ..."I found my currency .."   That use intrigued me immediately for I realized that each of us in this village have our own unique "currency" or "medium of exchange" that allows us to walk this journey in differing degrees of comfort and joy.  As I sit here writing this I am thinking of so many of my former students, people I worship with, men I sing with, my family, etc and think of each as to what is their "currency" when it relates to how they interface with me or with others. What is it that makes each of us unique as individuals as it relates to interface with others on their own unique journey?
 
Some people have humor, some looks, some energy, some forcefulness, some drivers, some "sleepers," with others using increments from the tool chest of a culture.  Personalities form through DNA plus living and experiences and choice.  If you are happy, you are happy by choice. If you are sad or angry, you are sad and angry by choice, right? 
 
So, as I turn the microscope on myself to bring color to my "currency" palette, I believe my currency factors, those that facilitate interface with others as a medium of exchange within my culture, are many.  Seeking to be good at what I do, drive to understand, loving to see people succeed, getting angry when I see people choosing to not do their best to utilize their capability; all those are me.  As well, striving to let people know I am dependable and willing to assist is significant to me.  Music is a major component of my "currency" at this stage of my life but not for singing for the sake of singing. I love to sing for I have seen myriad examples of the work of singing that brings joy, brings comfort, brings release of the struggles of this life. I have seen smiles and tears, watched faces lift and heard many stories of how this song or that song changed their life. 
 
Teaching is another form of my "currency" I believe for I love teaching but less about teaching but more the challenge and the opportunity to effect change in people's lives that I know will stretch out to at least two generations.  My "currency" resides in building a trust that is capital for future growth and improvement.  Being tough, being frank, being straight, taking no excuses for poor performance, listening proactively; all of those are weapons in my arsenal to enhance my "currency" of changing a person's direction when I see so clearly the pathway they currently trod leading to where they do not need to be going.  Coaching them, encouraging them, loving them, being tough on them and finding never a finish line are parts of the diamond cluster of change forward that allows me to find true joy in what I get to do.
 
So I ask you the question .. what is your "currency" that allows you to engage others in your culture and how effective is it? Can it be made better? Is it worth the effort?
 
As I sit here rereading my words, I believe this blog is one of the more personally in-depth writings I have done for I found myself probing deeply into my heart to ascertain what it is that allows me to be and to do what I get to do and find such joy in that endeavor. I believe joy is the capstone of the effectiveness of your currency now that I think about it.  If you are not feeling a sense of joy in what you do regardless of effort, energy burn, work, then I would posit that perhaps you have not located and are not utilizing your true "currency" for it is others' response that provide the metric for your "currency", right?
 
A year of my life 1973-1974 was  a year invested in attending the Army's Officer Candidate School.  That year is a milestone in my life for that year taught me so much about myself under the stress and duress of having to perform with others 24/7.  I realized in that tough environment I flourished in the leadership realm for the tougher it got, the better I loved finding ways via my "currency" to get others to step up and deliver.  During my journey, there have been several "interventions" that have marked my journey but that year at the Alabama Military Academy shot a new azimuth for the life of Jim Williams.  I would imagine as you do your mirror searching, there are interventions or events that prompted azimuth change that altered the rest of your life to this moment.  Give that some thought, please!
 
So I challenge you to internalize my words and I would love your feedback on both my words and more importantly, on how you would describe your "currency," your medium of exchange with others, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment