Saturday, January 30, 2016

Our New Year Unfolding Strangely

Here we sit at the eve of the second month of our new year and as I reflect on our January, I find myself really dumbfounded with events, direction, leadership and yes, politics.  I think the first bunt should be to speak to the Trump-ness of our political landscape since he is defying every convention known to Americans since the Party system was inaugurated.  

Brash, bold, bully, braggart, pioneering, fighter, can take a punch and will respond with a more potent punch; sound familiar?  He is one of those characters that you truly love or truly hate and apparently many Americans are loving his unconventional, non-apologetic approach to running for POTUS. As I have watched him and looking past the bravado but really listening to how he is atop the real concerning events of our day and answers the mountain of questions frankly, abruptly and factually is, well refreshing. What he has brought whether you like him or not, is a fresh view of the institutional instrument of career politicians and how the jargon, language and approach to the issues of today Americans face and fear are scrubbed into a language none of us can really understand.  So Americans like a fighter and Trump fills that billing well. My term for it; Refreshing! It is my hope if he does not ascend to the thrown that whoever does will adopt the approach to problem-solving Trump has been trumpeting as the core weakness in our political system.

Cheap oil is really scary for it carries such a globalized implication for all of us.  Link this to the escalating tension between Iran and Saudi Arabia, Shia versus Sunni, all of which are dependent on oil, and you have an elixir of explosiveness fueled by the conundrum of Syria. I never take my eyes too far from Israel for I still believe Israeli military action will be the spark that explodes the kingdoms and dictatorships existing in the Middle East. I am absolutely convince the US cooked up nuclear deal with Iran will be the worst disaster to unfold in the remaining days God gives me life and into the next generation.  Persia longs to be the dynasty she once was Biblically and we have empowered that greatly but now with nuclear capability.

My personal greatest concern is with the craziness we see as our societal values continue to crumble.  People living with each other thus shirking the Biblical mandates for what marriage is, same sex relationship and being celebrated from the White House is frankly sickening to me. The millions, MILLIONS, of children being murdered via abortion is accepted and as well celebrated is classic example of where our nation has stooped to and that is a fundamental shame.  God will punish this most harshly I believe.

My heart is, even through this above, blessed to be where I am, getting to do what I get to do and loving it.  Seeing my children mature as professionals and as parents is such a joy.  Watching my grand kids grow and mature is much greater than I ever imagined it could be. Seeing my grandsons play basketball with passion is such a personal joy for me!!  Just this week I was amazed by a FB conversation with a man I did not know that caused me to take pause as he unpacked some very complimentary comments he made in have seen me play basketball in high school, clear details of a jump shot that was rather unique, and other points which all gave me this warm sense of perhaps having contributed something to a great basketball team and tradition at Emma Sansom High School. 

Remaining in contact with vast numbers of college students I was honored to teach over a decade still thrills me. When my advice is sought, requests for letters of recommendation, conversation; it thrills me!

As our new year unfolds as part of  troubling century, I am ever reminded that God is in control, He knows, He will adjudge the guilty of the wrongs from His Holy Word. I have never understood that more clearly than I have in the last few years.    Seeing so many hundreds of people trapped in a jail or in a physical or mental restraint from aging has touched me and changed me and given me a renewed sense of the blessing of this thing call Life. 

My challenge for you today reading this is to do an inventory of specific things in your life that bring you joy and the warmth of a blessing!

1 comment:

  1. CHAPTER AND VERSE? BY STEVE FINNELL

    THE CHALLENGE GOES SOMETHING LIKE THIS, "IF YOU HAVE A VALID POINT, GIVE THE BIBLE CHAPTER AND VERSE TO PROVE YOUR POINT." THE PROBLEM IS, IF THE CHAPTER AND VERSE IS GIVEN WOULD IT BE READ AND IF READ WOULD IT BE BELIEVED?

    POINT: "WHAT MUST YOU DO TO BE SAVED?" BELIEVE AND BE BAPTIZED.
    MARK 16:16 "HE WHO BELIEVES AND IS BAPTIZED WILL BE SAVED; BUT HE DOES NOT BELIEVE WILL BE CONDEMNED.(NKJV)

    A. Believes: Mark 16:16, John 3:16, Acts 16:31, Romans 10:9,10, John 8:24, John 3:18, John 14:6.

    B. Baptized: Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38, Acts 22:16, 1 Peter 3:21, John 3:5, Ephesians 5:25-27, Colossians 2:11-13, Romans 6:3-8, Titus 3:5

    Did you read it and believe it? What prevents men from believing God's word?

    Hebrews 5:11 of whom we have much to say, and hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. (NKJV)

    Hearing is a problem.

    2 Peter 3:14-16.....16 as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which those who are untaught and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do also with the rest of Scriptures.(NKJV)

    Twisting Scripture is a self imposed barrier to the truth.

    Mark 7:7 And in vain to they worship Me, Teaching for doctrine the commandments of men."(NKJV)

    Mark 7:9 And He said to them, "All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition.(NKJV)

    Mark 7:13 "making the word of God no effect through your tradition which you have handed down, And many such things you do.' (NKJV)

    Keeping man-made church traditions is not equivalent to keeping God's commands. God inspired the Bible, He did not inspired man-made tradition.

    Church catechisms, church statements of faith, books about the Bible, Bible commentaries, nor popular preachers have not been inspired by God. Those writings and words are not equal to God's inspired book. THE BIBLE is God's book.

    YOU ARE INVITED TO FOLLOW MY BLOG. http://steve-finnell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete