Saturday, March 30, 2013

What is with plastic grass?

Just in from a long night and very early morning time with ten chapel services that touched roughly 300 male and female inmates.  Very powerful experience, tiring yes, but fulfilling and energizing. I believe some lives were changed in the last  twelve hours as evidenced by decisions to accept Jesus into their lives.  THAT is why we do what we do!
 
In listening to sermons by different speakers, each of which did a superb job, I found myself quietly assessing the trappings of "Easter" in my life time against the context of what Easter really means. I do not understand the egg thing much less the colored egg thing. I do not by any stretch understand the yucky, cheap artificial grass. I do not even grasp the meaning of the baskets nor even the candy.  I am not trying to bah humbug this holiday but I have been made cognizant all over again of what the true meaning of Good Friday is and the power of the Resurrection to me as man.  I heard this week from a man on the radio that were it not for the Resurrection, there would be no thought nor need for Christmas and realized how true that is. WOW!
 
Easter, for me, is time with my family. Alicia is busy right now preparing for another wonderful family meal tomorrow after all the Easter cantata work is completed. But for me I realize each time my family gathers around our table, together, just how special that really is. I get to watch the grand kids as they grow up and mature and their interface with each other. I get to listen to the caliber of the conversations among the adults most times on Godly matters and less on politics.  I find myself just quietly sitting or eating while listening more and enjoying it even more.  Easter is about family and family is about Easter, the Resurrection of my Lord and Savior and all of us in my family have accepted Jesus into our lives. I love to hear stories from my son and my daughter  about their work and how God brings certain things together when they themselves cannot understand why or how.  As with Christmas, it is my wife that makes the specialness truly magical with a caring, servant heart that is never adequately recognized I realize.
 
I am very tired but a very good tired with a cantata to be part of later this afternoon so cutting this off to get some body and vocal rest.  Lives were changed today not by eggs, candy or plastic grass. Lives were changed today because of a Risen Savior who's in the world today, I know that He is living not matter what men may say. I see His Hand of mercy and hear His Voice of cheer and just the time I need Him ... HE IS ALWAYS NEAR!  He Lives, He Lives, Christ Jesus Lives today, He walks with me and  talks with me along life's narrow way!
 
Can I get a witness? By the way, HE IS RISEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment