Saturday, August 30, 2014

Moses, Aaron and Miriam!

Many of you will remember those names from the Old Testament for they were siblings with Moses being the baby brother.  In Numbers 12 is an account of the Lord "dealing" with the two older siblings harshly for whining and jealousy of their baby brother Moses that led to Miriam having leprosy for seven days while the entire mass of Israelite slaves escaping Egypt remained encamped in the desert.  So what, you ask on this Saturday morning? Let me explain.
 
Last evening I conducted and preached in two back-to-back chapel services at a local county jail to a total of 62 inmates. I chose to use Numbers 12 for I had been reading it a few weeks ago. I did not go prepared to preach but it is amazing how God will bring the right things and times into mesh. The pastor scheduled to be there was not so it befell my lot to conduct the services fully; no problem! The men were especially attentive last night in both services and I saw many expressions in them with tears being an indicator that God's Word was being ingested.
 
I have begun a few months ago, when time avails at the end of the service, to have the inmates leave their seats and gather around me at the front of the chapel. I will take one man's hand, place it over my heart for him to feel it beating and have the rest of the men gather closely around me with everyone touching someone so there is a "circle of fire" it is now described by the inmates. It is a few moments of very interesting expression that blesses me each time I do that.
 
As we are all gathered closely together I have hands touching my head, shoulders, elbows and I get very quiet in expressing God's Will and plan for their lives and that I love them and seek the best for their lives and then say a very quietly uttered prayer before the deputies come in to return them.  Always there are quiet sobs and it is a few moments of very, very special closeness with men that have ruined their lives and the lives of many others. I tell them that the man with his hand over my heart that can feel my heart beating  and who is then being touched by several of the fellow inmates, that God is giving me life and breath to be there with them as their brother in Christ and that with each pump of my heart, God loves them even more and I plead with them to give their heart and lives to Christ.  When completed, there is much hugging by these men of each other, many tearful thanks given and you can see spiritual surrender to God's Will.  Many will scoff at these words and scenario but it is very real and very tangible and special.
 
Last night as the COs were taking them back to their cells, one of the young COs came to me asking me if I could take the time to go to the cell area to meet with an inmate that had asked to see me and that he had been charged with murder earlier that day. Of course I went. I took a Bible, signed it and wrote Numbers 12 as reference in the Bible and wrote, "God is Good ... All the Time" for this young man to see as I presented him his Bible. 
 
This same inmate had been in a service I conducted Monday evening and had to get very stern with him for talking during the service. I knew he did not like my insistence of not talking during the chapel but he complied.  So he had asked for me specifically to meet with him last night in light of this felony charge earlier that day.  As we sat for a few minutes he told me he respected me for caring enough about him to be frank and honest about this Monday evening event on the talking.  I held his hands and prayed for his life, his family, his future reaffirming God loves him and always will. When I presented him his new Bible and he read my words, I saw a man, hardened by the world and desperate, emotionally melt into tears thanking me for my words and time with him.
 
Why do I share that this morning? I share it for if you read the account of the Lord taking Miriam and Aaron to task for their jealous and callous posture with their baby brother, God's chosen leader, you see very quickly that when God calls you to a specific work, he will protect, care and open other doors for you. I believe that meeting with the inmate now charged with murder is example of God opening up a whole new set of opportunities to do His Will came as a result of the chapel services we conduct at the Stark County Jail by a large corps of dedicated men and women that know we are dealing with something society had just really assume is not there and could care less. We care!
 
So my blog this morning is dedicated to the men and women that follow God's Will in their lives to reassure God will provide, He will protect and He will open more and more doors of opportunity.  Moses was in God's Will and we see in Numbers 12 that when those, even family, begin to attack your motives and life,  God will sort that out if you remain in God's Will. I implore you to pray for these men and women that have ruined their lives but want a ray of light in their darkened lives. THAT is Prison Ministry and THAT is why I still am blessed with every time I am inside the bars with these men and women. I cannot explain it but I know it is very real.  For the people that dedicate so much of their lives to this work, I count myself blessed to be part of their family.
 
Read the account in Numbers. God is very real and He cares for His own!

No comments:

Post a Comment