Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A Day to Reflect

Just in from a drippingly hot walk but awoke about 0430 with my mind a whirl.  Emotional evening last night in learning of the passing of a dear man that meant so much to me as a young body and built into me a true love for the game of basketball and a zest for life.  I had a phone conversation with his son, Randy, last evening. Randy was my best friend growing up in Gadsden, AL and it was a tough, tearful exchange we had about the passing of his father.

On this Independence Day 2012, I am choosing to take this day to reflect on how blessed we really are to live in this nation. Having lived out of this nation and worked in many countries around this world and hearing stories from my son that was in the Dominican Republic last week, I was just reminded of the blessing of life in this nation.

That blessing does not nor will it ever come free for, like freedom itself, it has to be fought for every day.  We so take that for granted. So when the clouds of worry and fear roll through with political decisions, court decisions, 24/7 news finding new ways to ignite our brain cells with "BREAKING NEWS" which has become almost funny to me on CNN or FOX, I try to disconnect and revel in the fact that I can go and do pretty much what I want and when I want.

So on this day of celebration, though the heat will be intolerable throughout the United States, take a few minutes to cool and R E F L E C T how really just how good we have it. I love my country. It has provided me a good life, great experiences, a retirement, a family that is comfortable and an opportunity to worship in freedom.  THAT is a blessing!

1 comment:

  1. Great post and well said! My favorite so far!

    -Jessica Gemma

    ReplyDelete