Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Let's meet by the river ...

This week is a week of new beginnings and endings which means, for the Christian, a new beginning as well.  I am pasting in a chorus lyric of a song, Let's Meet By the River, by the Spencer's that captures perfectly this week as it begins to unfold so you can click on the link and hear this great song but I want to focus on the potency of the chorus.

At 11 today I will attend a memorial service for a 92 year old simply precious lady from my church that I have come to love she and her daughter so much for their kindness, supportiveness, encouragement and love for me.  This lady, tiny in body and frame, was powerful in spirit and strength of character.  I count it an honor to say I knew her, shared many songs with her which she loved so much and she always made me feel really special.  The greater news, I know she is standing by the river now waiting on her loved ones to join her; I will be one!

At 11 am Thursday will be another memorial service for a man that touched millions of lives, was responsible for leading great armies, fathering Army-wide doctrine, the AirLand Battle concept, instrumental in many military innovations, commanded Army posts, Armor School, TRADOC and the list going on and oh yes, a Four Star General, Donn Starry.  I blogged recently about a two minute meeting with GEN Starry when I was attending AOBC at Fort Knox when he was Post Commander and he cared for my two year daughter that had gotten lost in a huge Commissary until her frantic dad, a second lieutenant at the time, me, found them both as the General patiently cared for her through her tears of fear.  I remember feeling like the air was sucked from my lungs when I got to her and realized it was a Two Star General Starry there with her ... a moment burned in my memory bank to this day.

The even greater reality of GEN Starry today is in being allowed access to his wife and her family via a blog I wrote about him after I saw they were living here in Canton which was amazing.  I picked up the phone and called in hopes of speaking with the General to find out his health was failing quickly. At 1100 Thursday this great warrior will be memorialized in full military honors and regalia which he so richly deserves. I want to salute this great one one last time as I did that day at Fort Knox in thanking him for caring for my daughter who will be at the service with me.

Two people, two people that could not be more different on this walk of life on earth but now both people residing across that River ... that to me is a powerful message of the beauty of being a Christian and it is that that is so compelling to me.  Listen / watch the video and really listen to the words. You may or may not care for the style of the music but the power of the lyrics are undeniable.

So with the death of two great people in my life, I swing back to the beginning yesterday of a new semester of young minds, fresh thoughts, fears, worries, $207,000 in student loan debts and the work before us.  That is so exciting to me to be part of that journey.

This morning I find myself basking in the joy of living, in getting to celebrate the home going of two very different and yet very great people in my life against the backdrop of new beginnings with my Kent State class.  I get to teach, I get to sing songs about my God and that Heaven where I know I will go and join all these great people like GEN Starry, Vestal and Howard Goodman, my mother and on and on.  Yes, I am feeling really, really blessed this day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w6nO8cL6I4

Let's meet by the river over on that beautiful shore
Let’s meet by the river where loved ones dwell
Who've gone on before
If you leave here first,  just wait by the river  
If I leave you here, that's where you'll find me
Let's meet by the river over on that beautiful shore 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment