Monday, August 22, 2011

Tingling like a little boy ...!

Have just had one of those moments that leave you breathless and acting all giggly and tingling all over like a little boy at Christmas ... In 1976, my wife and our almost two year old daughter, Jeannine, and I were stationed at the US Army Armor School at Fort Knox, KY for me to attend the Armor Officer Basic Course.  As Jeannine's second birthday approached, my wife, Jeannine and I were at the Post Commissary looking for a tricycle for our baby girl.  I had my work uniform on and proudly wearing my "butter bars" as a second lieutenant.  I realized Jeannine had gotten away from us and I was frantically looking for her in the crowded story. As I gazed up one aisle and then another, panic began to overcome me.

I saw what I thought was a small child several yards in front of me at the end of one of the aisles with this man also in uniform bent over talking to a small child which I assumed with Jeannine.  My heart stopped!  I proceeded quickly to what was, in fact, Jeannine.  She was heavily engaged in a conversation with this man I did not even look at for I was so happy to see my baby.  THEN, as he stood and offered a handshake of assurance and a shoulder pat of calm, I realized it was the Commanding General of Fort Knox, General Donn Starry.  You think, well yahoo, who really cares?  Well this 2LT cared enough at the moment to snap to, salute him and could not even put two words cohesivly together except, "thank you, Sir.!"

I have today just gotten off the phone with GEN Starry's wife.  She and the General reside very near us in Jackson Township.  In today's Canton Repository is a wonderful article on GEN Starry so when I saw it and realized he was living very near me, I could not catch my breath.  He, GEN Starry, is the definition of class, leadership and honor. I have watched him, studied him, read his books, learned his doctrines on armor and cavalry operations and, of course, met him that day looking for the tricycle for my daughter.  Ihave been trained in and trained me and machines using his doctrines honed in combat in Vietnam.  So many classes I took at Fort Knox seeing him via video teach us new platoon leaders about the use of armor.  He spoke to our entering class. I saw him again a few years later when, at Fort Knox and I then a Captain, stood and applauded he and dozens of other generals including General Patton's son for the Armor Update as they entered the massive auditorium.   

So enthralled after seeing the Repos article, I went to White pages and sure enough, found his phone number, called and had a wonderful conversation with his wife, Karen. I shared with her all the above.  GEN Starry is not doing well from a health standpoint so I was unable to speak with him but am left, well, breathless, thinking about the whole Starry impact on my life to this very day.  It has not been two weeks ago he came to my mind and I went to You Tube and found several award ceremony videos of this great man and savored every minute of them.

Most of you will probably not care at all about this but this, for me, has made this a truly amazing day.  The world owes much to people like GEN Starry. For me, many years past, I remember that handshake, his taking the time to be a comfort to my daughter until her dad found her and to realize the millions of lives this man has touched.  I wish more than anything I could return that handshake now and render a sharp hand salute to thank him properly.

My pastor preached just yesterday on encouragement ... today memories encouraged me and I know my call encouraged both GEN Starry and his wife.  I told my wife that I feel like I have met one of the Beach Boys or Billy Graham as an illustration of being so close to someone so great that has done so much.

Wow! WHAT A DAY!

3 comments:

  1. Jim

    What a lovely tribute to my husband. Because I am spending every precious moment with Donn, I rarely take calls. I am glad I took yours.

    He is a true soldier and has enjoyed life here in Canton. He has endeared my family, his new friends, and other acquaintances with tours of his beloved library as he shared his vast knowledge on so many subjects.

    He is fighting for life right now, but he does hear. I shared your memory of him. Pray for him, and who knows. You may yet shake his hand again.

    Karen Starry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim,

    I am Karen Starry's sister. Your memories of General Starry brought great joy to our family. God has so blessed us with the Gift of this "national treasure". He has inspired us all to love God,Family and Country. He so loved his soldiers.

    At a recent Veterans Day tribute in Fairlawn, Ohio with Veterans and Boy Scouts, General Starry stood for all branches of the Military as their respective song was song.

    I asked him afterward, why he stood during the Marine Corp Hymn, Air Force, Coast Guard, Navy. He said "they are all to be honored for their great service to our nation, we are one united force."

    The stories of his kindness, brilliance, faith and leadership have wrapped around our world. We are better human beings, because he gave so much of his life for the greater good.

    God Bless you, Sir,

    Sharon Deitrick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim,
    I am joining you in prayer for this great man who had such a profound impact on your life. I'm sure it is no coincidence that you found him after all this time. Our God works in such wonderful ways! From my perspective, you embody many of the qualities you ascribe to this man. He had a very profound affect on you indeed. Thank you General Starry for your service and for the example you set.

    ReplyDelete